Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup


For some time now I’ve wanted to try making Split Pea soup.  Yes, I know it’s not the typical thing to make nor do most people enjoy it, but I do.  So there! J  I ended up back in my Make It Fast, CookIt Slow cookbooks.  If you don’t know it already, I absolutely LOVE Stephanie O’Dea’s books, blog, and recipes.  They are a must-have for those who use their slow cooker often.  I pretty much followed her exact recipe with the exception of the bacon.  I used one of the bags of bacon pieces found in the salad dressing aisle.  It was much quicker for me on the morning I was making the soup. This was one of the EASIEST slow cooker recipes ever.

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
 The Ingredients
16 oz. package of dried split peas
1 onion, diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 cup diced carrot
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water (next time I would add 1 additional cup 5-10 minutes before serving.  It got quite thick!)
1 pkg. Real Bacon Bits (despite my link here, I used Kroger brand.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

The Directions.
Add everything to the slow cooker.  Stir to mix well.

Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high for 4-6.

Use a potato masher to mash and mix the soup to get a combined, thick consistency.  This is when I would add an additional cup up water and blend together.  (If you have an immersible hand blender you can also use that to make your soup a bit more creamy and to have an even consistency.)

Serve.

Next time I will definitely double this recipe.  Other than it being quite thick, it was delicious and even the little squirt couldn't get enough of it.  It would be great with some fresh baked rolls or bread.

Adapted recipe from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment