Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book List



I’m not exactly a bookworm, but having a good book to read is a great way to fill time when you’re trying to fall asleep at night, waiting at the doctor’s office, looking to have a quiet time, or…ummm, when you’re procrastinating the boring parts of life, i.e. Cleaning. J

I get book recommendations from so many places:  my sisters, other family, friends, Facebook, Pinterest, and more.  I usually save the book’s Amazon link somewhere in my digital mess of an email account or pin it to my Pinterest wall.  I also pin to a board of what library patrons are reading at the library where my sister works.  Lately people have asked ME for recommendations and I’ve found myself giving away a recommendation or two. 

Because of this, I’ve decided to keep a running list, of sorts.  I’ll add to this list and try to keep them somewhat categorized.  Most times I get my books from the library since hoarding books is one of my downfalls.  We have so many books in this house that I actually get excite to buy a new bookshelf.  We’re running out of space for shelves, so the public library has been awesome.  We are fortunate to have a library system with an extremely extensive collection of books, music, and movies.  In case you need to know, you can have up to 75 books checked out at any one time at our local library.  Although it was when I was teaching, yes, I’ve reached that limit.  More than once.

Here goes…
(My categorization system is imperfect.  If something sounds interesting, ask me about it or look up Amazon’s description.  Many of these fall under more than one category, too.)

Life
(parenthood, motherhood, inspiration, etc.)
Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
A little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson
Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist
Raising Happiness by Catherine Carter
Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Choosing to See:  A Journey of Struggle and Hope by Mary Beth Chapman
The Noticer by Andy Andrews

Marriage
(Marriage specifically, not generally speaking like the previous category)
Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Beyond Ordinary:  When a Good Marriage Just isn’t Good Enough by Justin & Trisha Davis
Mended:  Pieces of a life made whole by Angie Smith

Faith
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst
Dangerous Wonder by Mike Yaconelli
Making Life Work by Bill Hybels

Parenting & Children
Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
On Becoming Baby Wise by Gary Izzo (We didn’t read the whole book and used it as a guideline for getting baby on a schedule.  You’ll find big opinions on this book, but what we did worked for us.)
What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff (Again, we loosely used this book.)
Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore

Adoption
Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore
Choosing to See:  A Journey of Struggle and Hope by Mary Beth Chapman

Miscellaneous & Oldies But Goodies
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee









No comments:

Post a Comment