Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

My New Project--shelves!

If you know me, you know I like a good DIY project.  However, I don't know a whole lot about things that don't fall under the "general crafts" type of title.  The other day I was browsing a particular eBay auction listing, which I do with some regularity, and saw this set of bookshelves.  I really thought I could do something great with them.  I waited until a few minutes left in the auction and got ready to hit my keyboard's "enter" key fast.  Low and behold, I won the shelves!  Woohoo!  I went to pick them up today, and they are in better condition than I thought.  They're also a little bigger (yay!) than I thought.  

I plan to sand and re-stain then, but I haven't a clue how to do either of these two things.  I'll have to do a little research before I begin, but a few people (mostly family who live far away) wanted to see what I bought, or should I say...wanted to see what I've gotten myself into.  So, here are a few pictures to give you a look at the "before" of the bookshelves.  I can't wait to work on the project and actually finish it!


These are the two shelves just as I received them.

 
I like the rounded edges!

 
These photos show some of the smaller things I want to clean up and fix up.

 
These two photos are just to show how tall they are.


This final photo is where I'm thinking of placing one of the shelves.  The frames on the wall are come down to be replaced with a shelf-style gallery wall.  (See below for what I'm looking to do with this "photo wall" soon.)  The other option in this room is putting them next to each other, stretching almost the whole length of the wall opposite the wall in this photo.  Not sure what we'll do yet.


Ideas I'm looking at for inspiration where the photo wall will be in our dining room.  I'd have the gallery wall above and the bookshelf below.
Photo Credit
Photo Credit
Photo Credit.  Red wall, white shelf   

Photo Credit.  Red wall, red shelf

Photo Credit.  Crown molding shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment